Careers in Mathematics
Both the American Mathematical Society and the Mathematical Association of America have information about careers for undergraduate math majors. You will find there links to other places with information about: mathematicians working in industry, applications of mathematics, recent bachelor’s degree recipients in mathematics, books and articles on career planning and job searching, and more.
- AMS undergraduate page
- MAA undergraduate page
- MAA brochure: WE DO MATH!
- American Statistical Association career page
- Actuarial Jobs
If you have a general question like “what can I do with my major?”, please visit the website of the Career Servies. It provides a variety of services for both students and employers. You can also find some potential job titles that you can have with your math major here.
Some Employers of Mathematicians
Here are Web pages of some companies and government agencies that routinely hire mathematicians. For the government job, different government offices would have positions available with requirements.
- US Government
- Naval Surface Warfare Center, Dahlgren Division (look under “Employment Opportunities”)
- National Security Agency (look under “NSA Employment”)
- Bureau of Labor Statistics (look under “Jobs in BLS”)
- U.S. Census Bureau (look under “Jobs@Census”)
- NASA (look under “Employment”)
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Match Education