The University of Mary Washington (UMW) and Germanna Community College (GCC), recognize the need for registered nurses (RNs) to achieve baccalaureate degrees in nursing through an education system which promotes seamless academic progression. Therefore, starting Fall 2015, UMW will offer a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Concurrent Enrollment Plan (BSN-CE) to GCC nursing students.
This agreement permits GCC nursing students to be concurrently enrolled in the BSN Completion Program while completing an Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree in nursing.
Description of the BSN Concurrent Enrollment Agreement (BSN-CE)
- When students are accepted into the GCC Nursing Program, they, upon student request, will be granted admission into the BSN Completion Program at UMW as Pre-BSN students following completion of a UMW application.
- The pre-BSN student can enroll in the three liberal art courses which are part of the 30 credits BSN curriculum. Student advisement is provided by the Director of the UMW BSN Completion Program.
- After presenting a current and valid unencumbered RN license to practice nursing in the Commonwealth of Virginia, the student’s major will be changed to BSN Nursing and the student may enroll in UMW courses which begin with the NURS prefix.
- At this time, financial aid details are being addressed.
- The University of Mary Washington agrees students who are concurrently enrolled in GCC and UMW will earn an A.A.S. degree in nursing from GCC and a BSN in nursing from UMW, if all degree and GPA requirements are met.
- All courses for transfer must be completed with a grade of “C” or higher.
To apply send the BSN Completion Program Concurrent Enrollment with Guarantee Admission Letter of Intent and an official transcript to:
UMW Office of Admissions
1301 College Avenue
Fredericksburg, VA 22401-530
The letter of Intent can be obtained from the UMW Admissions Office or the GCC Transfer Office.