The UMW Pre-Health Program offers academic and career advising to UMW students preparing for any health-related career, including the following:
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- And more: Explore health careers at https://explorehealthcareers.org/
These pre-health career tracks are not majors, but rather pre-career paths that students can follow from virtually any major offered at UMW.
All pre-health career tracks have the same basic components:
- Coursework: Students participating in any one of the pre-health career programs listed above are required to take a variety of science, math and non-science courses. Most of these courses overlap with general education requirements of the University.
- Clinical Experiences: Most pre-career programs require students to complete extracurricular clinical experiences that show students the reality of the profession.
- Community Service: Volunteering in the community has become an increasingly important part of all health professions.
No matter what specific pre-health track a UMW student is following, there are many venues for UMW Pre-Health students to obtain the important clinical hours they need. UMW Pre-Health students shadow physicians, dentists, PAs, PTs, OTs, and DVMs, they work as medical scribes and at local pharmacies, volunteer at Mary Washington Hospital, earn their EMT-B license through area rescue squads, and go on international medical missions.
Formal Affiliations & Partnerships
UMW has a strong working relationship with all area health career programs. To date, we have established four formal affiliation programs and partnerships:
- Early Acceptance Program with George Washington University School of Medicine.
- Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM) Guaranteed Admission Interview Program.
- 3 + 4 Accelerated Pharmacy Program at the Shenandoah Univ School of Pharmacy
- UMW Kaplan Test Prep Partnership
For More Information . . .
For more information regarding the UMW Pre-Health Advising Program or for information regarding any one particular career track, feel free to email the UMW Pre-Health Careers Advisor, Stephen Gallik, Ph. D., Professor of Biology at email@example.com.
Prospective Students and their parents can meet Professor Gallik and ask questions about the Pre-Health Program at any of the UMW Open Houses, scheduled on the following dates:
Professor Gallik holds office hours specifically set aside to address anyone interested in the UMW Pre-Health Program at the UMW Career Center, University Center, Suite 206. To make an appointment to visit with Professor Gallik, please call the Career Center at 540-654-5646 or email the Career Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information for UMW Students and Alumni
Currently enrolled UMW Students can gain access to all program information by registering with the UMW Pre-Health Program on the UMW Pre-Health Program Canvas site. Any UMW student with a valid UMW network userID and password can register with the site.
Incoming Students: Newly accepted, incoming students should click here for specific information of interest to you.
UMW Alumni: UMW alumni who are thinking about applying to a graduate school in any of the health professions, such as medical school, dental school, vet school, physician assistant program, etc. should click here for specific information of interest to you.