The UMW Pre-Health Program offers academic and career advising to UMW students preparing for any health-related career, including the following:
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- And more: Explore health careers at https://explorehealthcareers.org/
These pre-health career tracks are not majors, but rather pre-career paths that students can follow from virtually any major offered at UMW.
All pre-health career tracks have the same basic components:
- Coursework: Students participating in any one of the pre-health career programs listed above are required to take a variety of science, math and non-science courses. Most of these courses overlap with general education requirements of the University.
- Clinical Experiences: Most pre-career programs require students to complete extracurricular clinical experiences that show students the reality of the profession.
- Community Service: Volunteering in the community has become an increasingly important part of all health professions.
No matter what specific pre-health track a UMW student is following, there are many venues for UMW Pre-Health students to obtain the important clinical hours they need. UMW Pre-Health students shadow physicians, dentists, PAs, PTs, OTs, and DVMs, they work as medical scribes and at local pharmacies, volunteer at Mary Washington Hospital, earn their EMT-B license through area rescue squads, and go on international medical missions.
Formal Affiliations & Partnerships
UMW has a strong working relationship with all area health career programs. To date, we have established five formal affiliation programs and partnerships:
- George Washington University School of Medicine Early Acceptance Program
- Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM) Rocovich Scholars Early Acceptance Program
- Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM) Guaranteed Admission Interview Program
- 3 + 4 Accelerated Pharmacy Program at the Shenandoah Univ School of Pharmacy
- UMW Kaplan Test Prep Partnership
For More Information . . .
For more information regarding the UMW Pre-Health Advising Program or for information regarding any one particular career track, feel free to email the UMW Pre-Health Careers Advisor, Stephen Gallik, Ph. D., Professor of Biology at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prospective Students and their parents can meet Professor Gallik and ask questions about the Pre-Health Program at any of the UMW Open Houses, scheduled on the following dates:
Saturday, September 21
Saturday, October 26
Saturday, November 16 – Access UMW Open House (Diversity Focus)
Monday, February 17
Friday, April 10
Click here to find out more about UMW open houses.
Professor Gallik holds office hours specifically set aside to address anyone interested in the UMW Pre-Health Program at the UMW Career Center, University Center, Suite 206. To make an appointment to visit with Professor Gallik, please call the Career Center at 540-654-5646 or email the Career Center at email@example.com.
Information for UMW Students and Alumni
Currently enrolled UMW Students can gain access to all program information by registering with the UMW Pre-Health Program on the UMW Pre-Health Program Canvas site. Any UMW student with a valid UMW network userID and password can register with the site.
Incoming Students: Newly accepted, incoming students should click here for specific information of interest to you.
UMW Alumni: UMW alumni who are thinking about applying to a graduate school in any of the health professions, such as medical school, dental school, vet school, physician assistant program, etc. should click here for specific information of interest to you.