Community Service Learning (CSL) provides a worthwhile educational experience with the opportunity to apply psychological principles learned in the classroom to the real world. Students choosing the CSL option must complete 40 hours of volunteer work at one approved community service site or 20 hours at two sites. Prior community service will not fulfill the requirement (i.e. service hours that were completed before approval was granted will not count towards the requirement).
CSL Faculty Advisor
Dr. Miriam Liss (email@example.com)
CSL Student Coordinator
- Must be declared as a Psychology Major
- Requires at least 12 credit hours in psychology beyond PSYC 100 – General Psychology
- Includes 40 hours of volunteer work at one approved community service site or 20 hours at two sites; hours cannot be split up amongst more than two sites
- NOTE: Up to 8 hours of training may count toward your 40 CSL hours.
- You must complete your community service within 12 months of beginning it
- You are required to attend one reflection sections during each semester you are completing community service hours
- Initial signatures on the CSL contract must be obtained and turned in to the CSL Faculty Advisor by February 1st of the student’s senior year. All paperwork with final signatures must be returned to the CSL Faculty Advisor by March 15th of the student’s senior year.
- NOTE: If you are graduating in the Fall semester of your senior year, the initial paperwork must be completed by October 1st and the final paperwork by November 15th.
The first step to getting started in CSL is getting added to the CSL Canvas course where you will find all needed documents, your CSL training modules, and further instructions. Email Dr. Miriam Liss (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Sofia Taylor to get added to this class.
NOTE: You must be added to the Canvas class and have submitted your initial contract through the appropriate assignment in this class before you can count any hours.
If you are still searching for a placement please start with the UMW Community Engagement site:
All placements on the CE website are approved Psych CSL sites as well as those on our approved list. There are lots of online and in-person, socially-distanced opportunities. To view the list, go here: https://cas.umw.edu/psychology/experiential-learning/community-service-learning/csl-placements/
If you need further help and guidance in finding a placement, please contact the Office for Community Engagement:
Leslie Martin, Faculty Director (email@example.com)
Sarah Dewees, Associate Director of Community Engagement (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Are you in the Education program?
If so, practicum hours can be used to fulfill the CSL requirement. You still must complete all CSL paperwork and attend a reflection session. CSL contracts must be signed and uploaded to Canvas BEFORE you begin your practicum. Contact Dr. Miriam Liss (email@example.com) or Sofia Taylor to be added to the CSL Canvas class where you will be able to download and submit your contract.
If you would like to volunteer at a site that is not on any of these lists please contact Dr. Liss and Sofia to receive a New Site Form.
*You must email the CSL Student Coordinator to be added to Canvas and receive a contract. Your contract must be uploaded to Canvas before you start volunteering*