“I want to pursue a career using the knowledge and skills gained as a Psychology major! Where do I start?”
First, visit the website for the UMW Center for Career and Professional Development and check out their page devoted to what students can do with a major in Psychology.
Book an appointment with a Faculty Career Coach, one of whom is Dr. Christine McBride, a Psychology Professor!
You can contact the Center for Career and Professional Development by phone (540-654-5646), email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or via your Handshake profile.
Handshake is an online tool designed to help provide career information, internship opportunities, employment opportunities, and career-related events that are tailored to your major and interests.
Second, check out this list of resources we curated for you!
Are you not sure what you want to do after you graduate?
- Check out a sampling of the occupations of some of our majors, who either entered the workforce with their bachelor’s degree or who earned their master’s degree and other resources:
Are you interested in entering the workforce after obtaining your bachelor’s degree?
- Check out Career Options, Career Planning, and How to Land A Job: Written for the Psychology Major
written by David MacEwen.
- Careers In Psychology | Affordable Colleges Online
- Career Center | SPSP
- psycCareers | Psychology Jobs & Careers | American Psychological Association (APA)
Are you interested in graduate school but are not sure where to begin?
- Go to Psych Grad to learn about the process of applying to and succeeding in graduate school
- Check out Graduate Education: A Guide for UMW Psychology Majors written by Thomas Moeller, Christopher Kilmartin, and David Kolar
- Check out Choosing a Program From the APS to figure out what program is right for you
- To learn about graduate study, go to APA Graduate and Postgraduate Education
- See what resources Psi Chi offers
- If you still have questions about graduate schools, go to Psi Chi FAQs
You may also want to look into obtaining a copy of the latest version of APA’s Graduate Study in Psychology, as well as their application guide, Getting In: A Step-By-Step Plan for Gaining Admission to Graduate School in Psychology. There are lots of other books out on the market that will give you hints and tips when it comes to your applications and preparation, and the faculty can answer many of your questions as well!
Are you interested in learning what kinds of scholarships are available to students of Psychology?
- Psychology Scholarships: What They Are, How to Find Them & How to Apply
- Scholarships for Psychology Majors
Are you interested in pursuing an advanced degree that will allow you to work in a therapeutic capacity (for example, an M.S.W. or a Psy.D.)?
Are you interested in pursuing an advanced degree that will allow you to work in a research setting (for example, an M.A. or a Ph.D.)?
Are you interested in obtaining an advanced degree in health care (for example, human or animal medicine or nursing; physical or occupational therapy)?
- Visit the UMW Pre-Health Program website
Are you interested in pursuing a law degree?
- Visit the UMW Pre-Law Society website