Megan Somersall (Heitman)

I graduated from UMW in 2012 and since then I have received my masters in clinical social work with a specialty in children and families. I am currently working as a school based clinician for the outpatient mental health clinic operated by The Children’s Guild. This organization is located in Maryland and operates in several schools across multiple counties in the state to place clinicians in identified schools that have a high need for mental health servicing. The school I am based in is a combined elementary and middle school so I am able to work with a wide range of ages and presenting problems. I carry a caseload of 21 clients and I conduct individual, family, and group therapy with students ranging from 5-15 years old. I also teach social skills lessons in elementary classrooms to help foster a community culture in the school of pro-social and emotionally aware behavior. Other duties include writing regular treatment notes and treatment plan reviews, participating in special education meetings, and crisis intervention as needed. I have been in this role for a year, and as a benefit of the position my school is also paying for my full play therapy certification so I will be a registered play therapist by the end of next year.

I would be happy to answer any questions that current students have about this career or other career options in the field of clinical social work. I hope this information is helpful, if you have any further questions I would be happy to answer them!

Email: meh0814@gmail.com