Welcome to the Department of Psychological Science at the University of Mary Washington
Welcome to our site from the dedicated people of the UMW Psych Department! Our department is made up of faculty who are award-winning teachers and scholars, passionate students, and the amazing staff who make UMW run. All of us in the department would like to show you the beautiful spaces in Mercer Hall where we work and some of the amazing things we’re doing here.
What We Do
- Award-winning teaching – with small classes, no TA’s, and personalized attention, UMW’s Psychology education is second to none
- Research – students and faculty work together on cutting edge research in a range of areas
- Internships – UMW Psychology students can work off campus at sites ranging from the FBI to autism treatment centers
- Study abroad – Our department leads trips to study Psychology in Europe and Community Engagement in Nepal
Where We Work (Mercer Hall) – Visit us online
- Collaboration spaces
- Formal and informal student spaces
Opportunities to Get Involved
- Psi Chi – our chapter of the Psychology honor society has twice been named the national chapter of the year
- Department Jobs – there are job opportunities within Psychological Science for students with a range of skills and interests
- Department Reps – students are elected as representatives so that your voice is heard on all major decisions we make
Faculty and Major Information
- Major Requirements and other Major Information
- Neuroscience Minor
- VCCS Transfer and AP/IB/Cambridge credits
- Our Psychology Brochure
What can I do with a degree in Psychology?
Psychology majors are uniquely poised to enter a wide variety of professions after the graduate with a bachelor’s degree in hand. In fact, while some choose to pursue a career in psychology by obtaining a master’s or doctoral degree, the majority of students who leave college with their bachelor’s choose to enter into a profession other than psychology, but one that makes good use of their skills and knowledge learned. Learnpsychology.org
Our majors at UMW go on to careers both within and outside of Psychology, including
- Social Work
- Government Contracting
- Human Resources
- Check out our FAQ here.
- View our welcome video here.
- Dr. Kolar has recorded a Q&A with prospective students,
- Email our department chair, Dr. McBride or any of our faculty.