Susan Garter

Susan Garter
I graduated in 1980 with a B.S. in Psychology (there were 2 tracks at the time, the B.A. as well as the B.S.), and have had a long career in Telecommunications and Information Technology.
My first job right out of college was as a research assistant in psychophysics at the Monell Chemical Senses Center in Philadelphia. While I was there, I received a telegram (!) inviting me to interview with Bell Laboratories. I began my career with AT&T at Bell Laboratories in Piscataway, NJ in June of 1981. My first position was as a Human Factors Engineer, researching user-computer interactions and designing user-computer interfaces. I went to graduate school in the evenings and earned my M.S. in Human Performance at Stevens Institute of Technology. Eventually, I became a technical project manager and then a program manager with AT&T. I retired from AT&T in March of 2015, and began a new job with Verizon in December of 2015. At Verizon, I am pivoting my project management skillset to become an AGILE scrum master in their Internet of Things delivery space.
I look forward to hearing from current UMW Psych students who are considering “non-traditional” career paths in technology.
My current occupation is technical project manager and AGILE scrum master at Verizon.
My reach information is: skaygm@aol.com and cell: 908-216-5109. Best time to call me would be in the evenings, between 7 and 9 PM ET.