Internships are not required for the anthropology major, but they are a great way to explore career options and build your resumé. Anthropology students have had internships with a variety of businesses as well as museums and other cultural institutions, including the Smithsonian Institution. The American Anthropological Association has a listing of internships in anthropology. UMW’s Center for Career and Professional Development is also a great resource for internships and other career guidance.
Study Abroad and Field Schools
A summer field research program, or a semester or a year abroad, is a great way for you to see how the concepts and research methods of anthropology and archaeology really work “on the ground.” You can also use the information you gather during a field school or time abroad for a longer-term research project such as senior research or honors. Field school experience, especially in an archaeological field school, opens up great employment opportunities for you as well.
UMW Guyana Ethnographic Field School
Our department offers a 3-credit summer ethnographic field school course in Guyana, ANTH 450. ANTH 350 Amazonian Societies is a pre-requisite. For more information, please view the program brochure or contact Dr. Mentore at email@example.com
You can read more one student’s experience in the Guyana program here.
Academic credit earned in other programs may be transferred to the University of Mary Washington. NOTE: you need to obtain permission to transfer the credits before you take the class.
In addition to the list below, the American Anthropological Association has information about field schools on its website.
If you are interested in one of these programs, contact them directly, and also talk to your academic advisor about which program would be best for you and about permission to transfer the credits for your work. If you plan a semester or year abroad be sure to consult with the UMW Center for International Education as well.
- Achill Archaeological Field School (Ireland)
- Summer field school in Malta
- University of California, Los Angeles summer programs abroad
- Crow Canyon Archaeology Center
- Drew University summer programs abroad
- Monticello/University of Virginia Archaeological Field School
- University of Maryland Center for Heritage Resource Studies Annapolis Field School
- University of New Mexico Field Schools
- University of North Carolina Study Abroad in Peru
- University of Pennsylvania summer programs abroad
- Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Perú
- SIT Study Abroad
- Skidmore Anthropology Study Abroad Programs
- Southern Utah University Undergraduate Field School in Southwestern Archeology
- University of Virginia Program in Perú