The anthropology major requirements were revised effective Fall 2022. The total number of credits required for the major was reduced from 32 to 30. ANTH 101 is no longer required for the major but does count as an elective.
All students who declared prior to Fall 2022 may change to the current requirements for the major if they wish. Just email Takera Zajac (email@example.com) in the UMW registrar’s office and ask to be placed under the Fall 2022 catalog.
- ANTH 298: Ethnography (3 credits; co-requisite ANTH 299; offered every fall semester)*
- ANTH 299: Arguments in Anthropology (3 credits; co-requisite ANTH 298; offered every fall semester)*
- ANTH 480: Senior Research (3 credits; fall semester)
- ANTH 481: Senior Thesis (3 credits; spring semester)
* Note: as co-requisite courses ANTH 298 and 299 must be taken together. These courses are currently only offered in the fall semester.
18 credits of electives, which may include:
- ANTH 101 Introduction to Social and Cultural Anthropology
- Any 200- or 300- level ANTH courses
- Up to six credits (2 courses) from selected sociology and historic preservation courses in archaeology. All upper-level sociology courses except for SOCG 491 and 492 are eligible. Eligible historic preservation courses include HISP 207 and HISP 467.
- Up to 3 credits of ANTH 491/492 Independent Study, BUT NOT ANTH 499: Internship. Anthropology majors are encouraged to undertake internships, but they are not required for the major and do not count toward the elective requirement.
- Some courses taken at other institutions, including study abroad and field schools. Be sure to speak to your advisor before taking the course if you want the course to count for elective credit.