The Department of History and American Studies offers its majors a rigorous training in research and writing, a rich array of communication and analytic skills, as well as training in digital fluencies for a twenty-first century world.
A brief introduction to History and American Studies at the University of Mary Washington:
To learn more about UMW History and American Studies programs:
- What courses will I take as an History major and what skills will I attain?
- What can I do with my History degree?
- What will I learn from my American Studies Major?
- What courses will I take as an American Studies Major?
- What can I do with my American Studies degree?
The University of Mary Washington
Founded in 1908, the University of Mary Washington is a premier, selective, co-educational public institution located in Fredericksburg, VA. UMW offers rigorous academic study in small, interactive classes with innovative faculty. In addition to a rich academic environment, students are also supported in their pursuit of internships and community work beyond campus, in international study, and in civic engagement. UMW offers more than 60 majors, Division III NCAA athletics, and over 150 student clubs. For more information, see UMW Fast Facts.
To Request Information on UMW Admissions, Scholarships, Veterans Programs, and More, see the Admissions Info Site
Recent UMW rankings:
– U.S. News & World Report, 2020: “America’s Best Colleges,” 16th among regional Southern universities; seventh in the Top Public Schools and Best Colleges for Veterans lists; 16th in Best Undergraduate Teaching; 18th in the Most Innovative Schools category
– The Princeton Review, 2020: “The Best 385 Colleges”
– Forbes, 2018: “America’s Top Colleges,” 205th of 650 undergraduate institutions; 64th of the nation’s public colleges; 42nd in the South
– Money Magazine, 2018: 306th among 727 schools listed as Best Colleges
– Top Producer of Student Fulbright Awards (2018-2019) by U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
Further Questions? Contact our Department Chair, Dr. Claudine Ferrell, at email@example.com or 540-654-1476