Undergraduate Research Opportunity – Posters on the Hill

In the Spring of 2011 the Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR) will host its 15th annual undergraduate poster session on Capitol Hill. This event will help members of Congress understand the importance of undergraduate research by talking directly with the students whom these programs impact.

As one student-participant has noted,

As one of this year’s (2010) participants in CUR’s Posters on the Hill, I want to express my gratitude. I never thought when I started this little project called the Earth QUEST that it would provide me the opportunity to travel to Capitol Hill to present my work and speak to a congressman’s legislative assistant! It’s all thanks to the work and merit of organizations like CUR. I admire the work your organization does, and my trip to D.C. has opened my eyes to the future of education. After reading up on the America COMPETES Act, the STEM education initiatives, and what CUR does, I hope to one day be a part of something as valuable. — Sara Neville, Penn State University, Brandywine Campus

CUR is calling for students to submit an abstract of their research that represents any of CUR’s disciplinal divisions (Arts and Humanities, Biology, Chemistry, Geosciences, Health Sciences, Mathematics/Computer Science, Physics/Astronomy, Psychology, and Social Sciences). Each abstract should explain the work that was performed and discuss the importance of the work to society (i.e., what larger problem were you trying to solve or understand?).

For more information and an online submission form, see http://www.cur.org/postersession.html

Note that recent graduates can also participate as long as their research was completed as an undergraduate during the 2008-2009 or 2009-2010 school years.

The University of Mary Washington is an institutional member of CUR.

Deadline: November 15, 2011