Phi Alpha Theta is an honors society dedicated to the promotion of the study of history and to the aims of strong research, teaching, and intellectual exchange in the profession.
Our own Upsilon Delta chapter promotes several projects each year, including:
– Sponsorship of a reception at the beginning of each academic year for entering students who are prospective History majors
– Sponsorship and hosting of an annual Majors Banquet each spring, which features the presentation of various awards, scholarships and citations
– Awarding of the Phi Alpha Theta Prize each year to the graduating major with the highest GPA
Initiation Ceremony and Majors Banquet
All Phi Alpha Theta inductees are required to attend a mandatory initiation ceremony held in conjunction with the annual History Department banquet held in late April each year.
Membership dues (a one-time payment) are $60.00. The deadline for submission is Wednesday, March 22nd, 2017. Checks should be made out to “Phi Alpha Theta”. The membership dues will also cover the banquet immediately following the initiation ceremony. We can only accept cash or checks, not credit cards. Please bring your payment to our department administrator, Mrs. Lisa Patton, at Monroe 228.
Phi Alpha Theta Honors Cord
If you are a Phi Alpha Theta member and a senior (graduating this May) you may wish to purchase an honor cord to wear at Commencement. The cost is $20 and must be paid to Mrs. Lisa Patton by April 14th, 2017 [Deadline extended from April 7th!] in order for it to arrive in time for graduation.
Phi Alpha Theta Membership Requirements
– At least 12 hours of graded course work in History (note: PAT inductees do not have to be History majors)
– An overall GPA of 3.0 and a GPA of 3.1 in History
Based on these criteria, invitations for memberships will be distributed to qualified majors during the spring semester.
For more information, contact the Chapter adviser, Dr. Susan Fernsebner.