FSEM 100 or HONR 100 is a first-year seminar course at UMW – exclusively for first-year students ONLY.
Features of the course include
- Small sizes – capped at 15 students each
- Exploration of a topic of interest to the students and the faculty member
- Active discussion-based formats
- Exploration of primary texts rather than textbooks
- Development of writing and speaking skills, which will be needed in upper-level courses
- Critical examination of the literature
Catalog Description for the Course:
The first-year seminar introduces students to the pursuit of intellectual inquiry. Students will study a non-traditional topic in a non-traditional way while exploring the concept of a liberal arts education. Specific topics will vary from course to course.
The chemistry department has offered seminars on