Thank you for your interest in UMW!
The Department of English and Linguistics (ENLI) at the University of Mary Washington offers a wide range of courses for both majors and non-majors.
UMW English and Linguistics Programs
The ENLI department is delighted to support an array of programs for students who wish to learn about the many different aspects of these disciplines.
UMW ENLI Majors
The Department offers multiple majors:
- a Major in English: option of concentrating in literature or creative writing, and
- a Special Major in Linguistics.
UMW ENLI Minors
The department also offers multiple minors:
UMW ENLI Course Offerings
Want to learn more about the courses in each of these areas? See these course descriptions in the university catalog:
Learn More about ENLI Studies through Our Virtual Webinars
- Interested in learning more about English and English: Creative Writing? Check out our webinar for prospective ENLI students.
The University of Mary Washington
The University of Mary Washington was founded in 1908. Located in Fredericksburg (VA), it is just an hour away from Northern Virginia, Washington D.C., and Richmond. The University offers a liberal arts curriculum, Division III NCAA athletics, and over 150 student clubs. UMW offers a great combination of high quality academics, out of class events and clubs, and a great location. UMW has been ranked in 2016/2017:
- Fiske Guide to College, 2017: “Best Buy School” (One of only two colleges in Virginia and D.C.)
- US News & World Report 2-17: “America’s Best Colleges,” sixth in the “Top Public regional Universities-South” category
- Forbes, 2016: “America’s Top Colleges,” 275th of 660 undergraduate institutions
- The Princeton Review, 2017: “The Best 381 Colleges”
- Money Magazine, 2016: 252nd among 705 schools listed as Best Colleges
More About UMW
More information about UMW that may be helpful to interested students can be found: