Thank you for your interest in UMW!
The Department of English, Linguistics, and Communication (ELC) at the University of Mary Washington offers a wide range of courses for both majors and non-majors.
UMW English, Linguistics, and Communication Programs
The ELC department is delighted to support an array of programs for students who wish to learn about the many different aspects of these disciplines.
UMW ELC Majors
These include multiple majors, including:
- a Major in English: option of concentrating in literature or creative writing,
- a Major in Communication and Digital Studies,
- a Special Major in Linguistics, and
- a Special Major in Journalism.
UMW ELC Minors
The department also offers a number of minors:
- a Minor in Linguistics,
- a Minor in Literature,
- a Minor in Journalism, and
- a Minor in Digital Studies.
UMW ELC Course Offerings
Want to learn more about the courses in each of these areas? See these course descriptions in the university catalog:
Learn More about ELC Studies through Our Virtual Webinars
- Interested in learning more about English and English: Creative Writing? Check out our webinar for prospective ENL students.
- Want to learn more about Communication and Digital Studies? Check out our webinar for CDS prospective students.
The University of Mary Washington
The University of Mary Washington was founded in 1908. Located in Fredericksburg (VA), it is just an hour away from Northern Virginia, Washington D.C., and Richmond. The University offers a liberal arts curriculum, Division III NCAA athletics, and over 150 student clubs. UMW offers a great combination of high quality academics, out of class events and clubs, and a great location. UMW has been ranked in 2016/2017:
- Fiske Guide to College, 2017: “Best Buy School” (One of only two colleges in Virginia and D.C.)
- US News & World Report 2-17: “America’s Best Colleges,” sixth in the “Top Public regional Universities-South” category
- Forbes, 2016: “America’s Top Colleges,” 275th of 660 undergraduate institutions
- The Princeton Review, 2017: “The Best 381 Colleges”
- Money Magazine, 2016: 252nd among 705 schools listed as Best Colleges
More About UMW
More information about UMW that may be helpful to interested students can be found: