(Summer stipend, course release grants)
The purpose of the Faculty Research Grants (‘FRG’) program is to provide money and/or time for full-time faculty members affiliated with the College of Arts and Sciences (‘CAS’) at the University of Mary Washington (UMW) to carry out scholarly and creative/artistic projects.
Applicants may request one of the following:
- $4,000 summer stipend and up to an additional $500 in expenses
- up to $4,500 in expenses only
- A course release for the fall or spring semester of the award year
The outcome for all proposals in this category is ultimately the submission of a completed scholarly work (or creative project) to an appropriate peer-reviewed medium or to some other comparable public forum appropriate to the person’s academic discipline and the nature of the project.
DEADLINES FOR 2017-2018
Application Due Date – November 6, 2017
Funding Period: July 1, 2018- June 30, 2019
Awards announced – January 31, 2018
Report Due: May 15, 2019
How to Apply
- Create one document that consists of: (i) a coversheet , (ii) a proposal , and (iii) any supporting material necessary for the evaluation of the application.
- Submit an electronic copy (PDF – one document format) and a hard copy of the document to the Office of the Dean of CAS by the grant application deadline. In the hard copy, the cover sheet must be signed by the applicant and department chair. Submit electronic copy to Martha Link.
The recommendations of the Faculty Development and Grants Committee (‘the Committee’) are forwarded to the Dean of CAS, who will review and announce the awards by January 31 of the current academic year. At the end of the grant period, a final report must be submitted to the Office of the Dean.
Examples of Approved Applications
Laura Wilson “A meta-analytic review of military trauma”
Colin Rafferty “Beyond the Wall: One Soldier’s Story”
Below are links to the Faculty Research information pages and the application cover sheet:
Faculty Development Research Grants are reviewed by the Faculty Development and Grants Committee and the Dean. The following approvals are listed by academic year.