The Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies program at the University of Mary Washington recognizes outstanding student achievement through the conferring of honors in the major. Please contact your WGST faculty advisor or the program chair with any questions.
- Students must apply for honors by the end of the semester prior to their graduation. The application is submitted to the capstone project advisor & program director for preliminary approval, ideally at the time the capstone project is proposed. The student’s advisor will confirm preliminary eligibility. A final determination of earned honors depends on successful completion of the capstone project: see 2 (d) below. (Note: the same project may count toward honors in WGST and a second major if the project supervisor(s), WGST director, and 2nd department/program chair agree.)
Requirements for Honors
- completion of at least 6 major courses (a combination of core requirements and electives may count), identified by the student on the honors application
- 3.0 overall GPA at the time of application
- 3.5 major GPA over 6 identified courses at the time of application (and no lower than 3.2 major GPA, if more than 6 courses have been completed in the major)
- an “A” for the capstone project (the course for which the capstone is completed)