Welcome to the Department of Music
Click on Concert Schedule for full list of performances.
March 17 – UMW Philharmonic Orchestra, featuring Arturo Sandoval, Dodd Auditorium, 7:30
April 6 – UMW Concert Band, Dodd Auditorium, 7:30
April 15 – UMW Jazz Festival, featuring the UMW Jazz Ensemble, with special guest, Chris Vadalla
More info: UMW Jazz Ensemble page
April 27 – UMW Philharmonic Orchestra’s Masterworks Season Finale: Prokofiev’s Peter and the Wolf, with narrator Henry Winkler, Dodd Auditorium, 7:30
All but UMW Philharmonic concerts are free unless noted, public welcome
UMW Philharmonic Orchestra
American Icons to Appear with UMW Philharmonic
World-renowned opera star Renée Fleming and beloved actor Henry Winkler will headline the University of Mary Washington Philharmonic’s 2017-18 season; Renee Fleming, Sept 26 and Henry Winkler, April 27. Also, during its 2017-18 season, the annual Holiday Pops concert on Friday, Dec. 8, will feature the Irish Tenors – Finbar Wright, Anthony Kearns and Ronan Tynan. On Saturday, March 17, legendary trumpet player Arturo Sandoval will be the featured guest artist.
For more info go to http://www.umwphilharmonic.com/
Tickets: Call 540/654-1324 for information
The creative world is full of possibilities – performance, composition, research, production, sound engineering – so how do you know where you fit? Experience the full gamut of musical opportunities through the Department of Music by combining classroom education and collaboration with your professors. Couple this with the opportunity to play in department ensembles and the free time to start your own groups or write your own music and your growth will surprise you. Share great stages, listen to the voices of this century, and find your niche in the creative world. What will you discover, and who will you become?
Info, Info, Info
Frequently Asked Questions? click [here]
- More Information on curriculum, all the ensembles, concert schedules, auditions & scholarships, teaching certification? – click on tabs above for drop down menus.
- All other auditions will be held August 26, 2018 (Majors & non-majors) See drop down menu above in Prospective Students.
- All students at UMW are welcome and encouraged to join an ensemble and/or enroll in private lessons through an audition
- Want to join an ensemble in the Spring Semester? – contact the ensemble Director or the respective Applied Faculty Member associated with your instrument of study.
Good News! Germanna CC Students now have the opportunity to play and study music at UMW and earn credits.
- Consult your Registrar for procedures
- Contact Kay Roach, UMW/Germanna Liaison for more info: email@example.com
More Good News: non-students/aspiring musicians in the community are now welcome to register for private lessons with our outstanding faculty!
Congratulations to Lilly Schloeder (class of 2016)! – has a new admin. post with Luxembourg Philharmonic. Find more info in Music In Action tab above.
The Department of Music
University of Mary Washington
1301 College Avenue, Fredericksburg, VA 22401.
Tel. 540-654-1012, Fax 540-654-1966.
Music Ed/Teacher Licensure: please contact Dr. Kevin Bartram (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Vocal Ensembles: please contact Dr. Jane Tavernier (email@example.com).
Location: located on the main campus of the University of Mary Washington in Pollard Hall. Please visit us!