Thank you for your interest in UMW!
The Department of Communication and Digital Studies (CDS) at the University of Mary Washington offers a wide range of courses for both majors and non-majors.
UMW Communication and Digital Studies Programs
The CDS department is delighted to support an array of programs for students who wish to learn about the many different aspects of these disciplines.
UMW CDS Majors and Minors
- a Major in Communication and Digital Studies,
- a Special Major in Journalism.
- a Minor in Journalism, and
- a Minor in Digital Studies.
UMW CDS Course Offerings
Want to learn more about the courses in each of these areas? See these course descriptions in the university catalog:
Learn More about CDS Studies through Our Virtual Webinar
- Want to learn more about Communication and Digital Studies? Check out our webinar for CDS prospective students.
The University of Mary Washington
The University of Mary Washington was founded in 1908. Located in Fredericksburg (VA), it is just an hour away from Northern Virginia, Washington D.C., and Richmond. The University offers a liberal arts curriculum, Division III NCAA athletics, and over 150 student clubs. UMW offers a great combination of high quality academics, out of class events and clubs, and a great location. UMW has been ranked in 2016/2017:
- Fiske Guide to College, 2017: “Best Buy School” (One of only two colleges in Virginia and D.C.)
- US News & World Report 2-17: “America’s Best Colleges,” sixth in the “Top Public regional Universities-South” category
- Forbes, 2016: “America’s Top Colleges,” 275th of 660 undergraduate institutions
- The Princeton Review, 2017: “The Best 381 Colleges”
- Money Magazine, 2016: 252nd among 705 schools listed as Best Colleges
More About UMW
More information about UMW that may be helpful to interested students can be found: