Starting in Fall 2022, UMW will offer a new major in Geospatial Analysis! Students will specialize in GIS, Geographic Information Science, while taking courses in core geographic concepts that help them develop a good spatial understanding in their areas of interest. This program leads to the B.A. degree in Geography.
Students may add the Certificate in Geographic Information Science by completing a GISC Capstone. They will be well-placed to enter the 4+1 Master of Science in Geospatial Analysis program!
Core Requirements (15 credits):
- GISC 200 or GEOG 250 Introduction to GIS (4)
- GEOG 102 Introduction to Human Geography (3)
- GEOG 111 Landform Processes (4)
- GISC 351 Spatial Analysis (4)
Foundation (3 credits) choose one:
- DATA 101 Introduction to Data Science
- CPSC 110 Introduction to Computer Science
- GEOG 325 Quantitative Methods in Geography
Breadth Requirements (9-10 credits): Take one course from each of the 3 areas of specialization, at least one being at 300-level.
|Society & Politics||Culture||Environment|
|231: Introduction to Planning||101: World Regional Geography||110: Weather & Climate w/lab|
|236: Globalization & Local Development||221: Geography of Eastern North America||240: Hazards & Resilience|
|237: Cities||222: Geography of Western North America||241: Biogeography|
|331: Race & Place in America||301: Geography of Latin America & Caribbean||245: Environment & Society|
|332: Migration Politics||304: Geography of Middle East||325: Dynamic Climatology|
|333: Planning Seminar||335: Sacred Spaces||326: Glacial Geomorphology|
|337: Nature of Cities*||339: Development Studies||327: Climate Change|
|338: Geopolitics||361: Grassroots Development in Guatemala||337: Nature of Cities*|
*GEOG 337 may be counted in one area of specialization only.
Upper Level Geography Requirement (3 credits):
- One upper-level thematic geography course (GEOG 301-339)
Upper Level GIS Requirements (8 credits):
- GISC 340 Remote Sensing & Air Photo Interpretation
- GISC 355 Mobile GIS & GPS
- GISC 450 GIS Programming
- GISC 471 Special Topics
- GISC 482 Web GIS: Concepts and Applications
Capstone (3 credits): GEOG 490 Senior Seminar in Geography