Fall 2017 Newsletter

The University of Mary Washington's Department of Historic Preservation is pleased to announce that our Fall 2017 Newsletter has arrived! Follow this link to see what we have been up to: umwfallnewsletter2017 … [Read more...]

Amphitheater Restoration

The amphitheater has been enriched with the history and culture here at the University of Mary Washington since it was first constructed in 1913. Under the watchful eye of faculty and students, the original amphitheater only consisted of a wooden structure as well as wooden benches. It wasn’t until the 1920s when the construction of a steel and concrete theatre, which was overseen by Fredericksburg City Manager Mr. L.J. Houston, was erected. In the years following, graduation commencement ceremonies and theatre productions took place at the amphitheater. The amphitheater was the fourth structure constructed at the college and was primarily used for entertainment purposes. The many additions were overseen by three university presidents, including; Edward H. Russell, Algernon B. Chandler Jr., and Morgan L. Combs. Throughout the 1920s and the beginning of the 1930s, enrollment for the college was increasing, and since more people were attending the college, there needed to be an … [Read more...]