The University of Mary Washington has received an endowment from the estate of Shirley Van Epps Waple’52 to establish 8 rotating, supported professorships in her name.
Any tenured faculty member with a minimum of 6 years of service at UMW. This year we will make one award to a College of Arts and Sciences faculty member whose two-year Professorship will begin in the 2016-17 academic year. The Waple legacy was set up in such a way that one two-year award alternates with 5 two-year awards in Arts and Sciences. Five Waple professorships began this year.
To pursue a project during the two-year tenure of the professorship. Projects may include research, writing, performances, creative work, and the scholarship of pedagogy.
Application due Date: Monday, January 2017
Application must include:
- Description of the project (maximum 1500 words)
- Abstract of the project description (200 words)
- Clear timeline for the project that will be carried out
- Current c.v.
- Budget, to include number and timing of course releases (maximum 2/year);cost of equipment or supplies; cost of travel related to the project beyond routine faculty supplemental grants. The cost of these factors will be subtracted from the $15,000/year stipend carried by the Professorship.
- Signature of Department Chair
- Quality of the proposed project
- Appropriateness of timeline to the project
- Record of success in publication or creative endeavors
The Dean and Associate Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences will review all applications and make recommendations to a group that consists of the Provost, the Dean of CAS, the Deans of COB and COE, and the Associate Provost for Academic Affairs for final adjudication.
The Waple Professorship carries a $15,000 stipend which can be used, per the candidate’s discretion and as designated in the budget proposal, as a salary stipend, research support, or course release time (a maximum of six credit hours annually). The successful applicant may use the research support fund for any combination of the following: travel, software and/or databases, equipment, and the like
Faculty who are on or expect to be on a sabbatical or Jepson Fellowship or some other form of educational/research leave are eligible to apply.
University policy stipulates that faculty cannot earn more than 33% of their contracted salary from other sources during the academic year (from grants, summer teaching, UMW research stipends, etc.). Faculty should consider this information when deciding on the amounts they wish to budget for supplies, course buyouts, travel, and the salary supplement.
An announcement will be made of the person selected for the Waple Professorship.
2016 Stephen Hanna, Department of Geography
2015 Christopher Kilmartin, Department of Psychological Science
2014 Mindy Erchull,Department of Psychological Science
2013 Allyson Poska, Department of History and American Studies