These grants, for teaching faculty at the College of Arts and Sciences of UMW, are generally designed to supplement the $500 in faculty development money made available through the department to full-time and continuing faculty. Adjunct faculty may make supplemental grant requests (as indicated in the Adjunct Faculty Handbook).
Faculty development supplemental grants are awarded three times each academic year for projects in the FALL, SPRING, and SUMMER periods.
- Fall application activities between September 16 and December 31
- Spring application activities between January 1 and May 31
- Summer application period between June 1 and September 15
If a proposed project overlaps funding periods, apply for funding in the period in which the project will conclude.
CAS Faculty Supplemental Grant Cover sheet 2012-2013 (PDF Version)
Faculty Supplemental Grant Cover Sheet 12-13 (Word Version)
• September 7, 2012 (fall funding period)
• November 16, 2012 (spring funding period)
• April 19, 2013 (summer funding period)
Applications should be submitted to the Dean (GW 314) by the application due date.
Exceptions to applying for a grant late: Dates of both the “call for papers” (or the invitation to participate) and notification of acceptance were after the deadline for submitting the application for supplemental funding.
- be submitted using the Faculty Supplemental Grant Cover Sheet
- address all points stated on the Cover Sheet
- have the applicant’s signature
- submit to the CAS Dean (GW 314)
- provide all required documentation - Incomplete applications will not be reviewed
Please do NOT submit a Request for Travel form as part of the grant application.
Request for travel form is submited after you have received an award for the request you have made.
If the date of your travel is very close to the date for submitting the application for funding, you may submit the Request for Travel form at the same time as the grant application but you should submit it separately and not as a part of the application for grant funds.
To facilitate effective planning and allocation of the faculty supplemental budget, persons who have submitted a paper to a conference but haven’t heard about acceptance should go ahead and request funding by the required deadline.
Grants may be requested for a variety of purposes, such as:
• a specific scholarly and/or professional contribution (paper presenter, panel participant, artistic performance, workshop leader, etc.),
• travel expenses connected with on-going research projects (generally smaller amounts for which a Faculty Development Grant application would be inappropriate),
• the purchase of materials/supplies in support of research and/or artistic projects, and
• enhancement of professional credentials (such as through meeting attendance, workshop participation, etc.).
All purchases of non-consumable items made with UMW grant funds (such as equipment, software, books, DVDs, and the like) are the property of UMW because they have been purchased with Commonwealth of Virginia funds. These items are not to be retained by the researcher but are instead to be turned over to the University when the grant project is completed.
General guidelines for decisions about Faculty Development Supplemental Grant requests:
1. Supplemental Development Grants may not be requested for research stipends or equipment purchases.
2. Grant requests must advance specific professional development goals for the faculty member making the application.
3. Individuals making a Supplemental Faculty Development request must be employees of the University at the time that the project will be initiated and completed.
4. The grant requested must have a clear and direct connection to the faculty member’s professional development and to his or her work at the University.
5. In the attempt to extend support to as many worthy projects as possible, funding awarded to an individual supplemental grant proposal is usually less than the full amount requested; the total amount awarded to any one faculty member in a given fiscal year is also limited.