Lighthouse Counseling is an outpatient mental health and addictions treatment program for adults. Lighthouse offers individual and group therapy including basic psycho-educational substance abuse groups for persons mandated to treatment by programs such as the Rappahannock Area Alcohol Safety Action Program, employers and the court system. There is also a relapse prevention group for voluntary and mandated clients. Other treatment is provided individually.
NOTE: Internship hours can be scheduled according to the intern’s availability; however, they must be available from 12pm-2pm on Tuesdays.
- Weekly contact with the faculty sponsor and agency supervisor.
- Training in case management
- Assisting with group therapy
- Observing intakes
- Reading assignments about ethics, substance abuse, and other related topics
- A final written paper on a topic agreed to by the intern and faculty sponsor
- Must meet all UMW and Department of Psychological Science internship requirements.
- Required courses:
- PSYC 211 – Abnormal Psychology
- PSYC 315 – Foundations of Clinical Psychology
- Recommended courses:
- PSYC 394 – Psychopharmacology
- 42 hours of work per credit hour (most interns do 3 credits with 126 hours of work)
- Grade is based on on-campus supervision, agency evaluation, reflective journal, and a final paper
420 Hudgins Road, Suite 201
Fredericksburg, VA 22408