Capital Caring: Bereavement Program Assistant
Capital Caring is a hospice and palliative care organization that also provides bereavement counseling services to its clients’ families and to the broader community. Our mission is to improve care for those facing life-limiting illness through direct support of patients and their families, public education, and public advocacy.
Interns will do some combination of the following depending upon their skills and interests and the needs of the organization:
- Supporting the facilitator of 6-week long Caring Circles (children’s grief peer support groups) in local elementary and middle schools with duties to include:
- Assisting the facilitator in interviewing students to assess fitness for the group
- Helping to collect data to assess student progress based on program goals
- Assisting the facilitator in conducting pre and post surveys to assess progress
- Coordinating materials to support the Caring Circles curriculum
- Assisting in public relations activities to promote Caring Circles
- Helping with the planning and coordination of the Point of Hope bereavement camp
- Conducting internet research related to children’s bereavement
- Assisting with general community bereavement office support
All potential interns must complete a background check prior to being accepted into a position. Interns also have to do 6 hours of hospice training and 5 hours of children’s bereavement training. Additional trainings may also be needed depending on the projects bring undertaken.
- Must meet all UMW and Department of Psychological Science internship requirements.
- Required courses:
- PSYC 231 – Developmental Psychology: The Infant and Child
- PSYC 211 – Abnormal Psychology
- Recommended courses:
- PSYC 315 – Foundations of Clinical Psychology
- 42 hours of work per credit hour (most interns do 3 credits with 126 hours of work)
- Grade is based on on-campus supervision, agency evaluation, reflective journal, and a final paper
111 Olde Greenwich Drive, Suite 101
Fredericksburg, VA 22408
Main Office: 540-891-1200