Alternative Paths Training School (Fredericksburg Campus)
Alternative Paths Training School (APTS) is a small, private school for children K-12th grade with autism and other developmental disabilities. Applied Behavior Analysis serves as the basis for all school programming and behavioral interventions. The focus results in school-age children with disabilities overcoming the behavioral obstacles that prevent them from reaching their fullest potential and achieving success in academic, vocational, and life-skills training.
The best candidates for this internship are psychology students interested in an educational perspective for children with developmental disabilities, language issues, and behavior problems.
- 10 to 20 hours per week, depending on credits contracted.
- The intern will be required to attend trainings and learn specific behavioral intervention strategies and individualized curriculum strategies.
- The intern will apply these ABA techniques to the assessment of the students.
- The intern will be expected to actively participate with the students using these strategies.
- Assigned activities also include implementing planned academic programming for students, academic and behavioral data collection, and some data analysis.
- Weekly contact with the faculty advisor and any assigned tasks.
- Keeping a journal of internship experiences.
- Must meet all UMW and Department of Psychological Science internship requirements.
- Required courses:
- PSYC 231 – Developmental Psychology: The Infant and Child or PSYC 232 – Developmental Psychology: The Adolescent and Adult
- PSYC 253 – Fundamentals of Learning and Motivation
- Recommended courses:
- PSYC 211 – Abnormal Psychology
- PSYC 320 – Psychology of Exceptional Children and Youth
- 42 hours of work per credit hour (most interns do 3 credits with 126 hours of work)
- Grade is based on on-campus supervision, agency evaluation, reflective journal, and a final paper
Alternative Paths Training School – East Stafford Location
35 Smokehouse Drive 22406
Fredericksburg, VA 22406
Main office: (540) 373-8760