STEP 1: Identify the internship you want.
- Visit the Department of Psychological Science website, and review the existing internships
- Ensure that you meet the requirements listed on our main internship page.
- Make sure you meet the specific prerequisites listed on the internship description.
- Contact the agency supervisor listed on the internship description to determine if the agency is willing to accept an intern for the semester of interest.
- Note: You will likely have to call rather than email, and you need to be prepared to contact them more than once.
- Also, you may need to go through screening at the internship site. This could include an interview, background check, providing evidence of medical screening, etc.
STEP 2: Complete the internship contract.
- Get a copy of the UMW internship contract.
- Complete the top portion of the contract on your own, and sign/date the bottom of the page.
- Meet with your agency supervisor and complete the ‘internship site information’ portion of the contract on the top of page 2 with your supervisor, and get his/her signature at the bottom of the first page of the contract.
- Meet with the Department of Psychological Science internship coordinator (for the semester in which you will complete the internship), fill out the remainder of the internship contract, and get his/her signature.
- Have the Department of Psychological Science chair sign the internship contract. Currently, this position is filled by Dr. Christine McBride (email@example.com).
- Make sure you read and sign the Code of Professional and Ethical Conduct on pages 3-4 of the contract.
STEP 3: Register for your internship (i.e., PSYC 499)
- The registration process for internships occurs outside of Banner. Registration occurs by returning the completed internship contract to the Registrar’s Office (2nd floor of Lee Hall).
- Your contract must be completed, signed by all parties, and submitted to the Registrar before the end of the add period at the start of the semester in which you are doing your internship.
- It is preferable that this be done by the end of the previous semester.
- Internship supervision will take place from 3:30-4:45pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays. You MUST have this time slot available to meet in order to complete your internship requirements.