Many psychology internships (PSYC 499) have been pre-approved by the department, and these are in a wide variety of settings. Descriptions of these and their specific prerequisite requirements can be viewed on our list of internships. If you wish to do one of these internships, follow these steps.
If you are interested in in doing an internship that is not already approved by the department (don’t assume an internship is approved by our department because you learned about it from a UMW source!), you need to contact the current internship coordinator to discuss your proposal. S/he will help you prepare an internship proposal which you will then present at a department meeting. This process can take over a month, so make sure you plan ahead!
All internships have the following university-wide requirements in addition to the specific prerequisites listed as part of each internship description (see the Career Center website for more information):
- You must be currently enrolled as a degree-seeking student at UMW
- You must be a declared psychology major
- You must have earned at least 12 credit hours at UMW
- You must have a GPA of at least 2.0 at the beginning of the semester in which you start the internship (Note: some internships may have a higher GPA requirement)
- You must have at least junior standing (completed 60 credits)
- You must have earned at least 12 credit hours in psychology beyond PSYC 100
Each internship site makes its own decisions about when to accept an intern as well as which intern(s) to accept and how many they are willing to supervise.
Things to note:
- You must be free on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30-4:45pm for the on-campus internship supervision course
- Special approval is required if you are seeking approval for an internship for more than 3 credit hours
- Special approval is required if you want to do an internship with an organization you’ve previously volunteered with or worked for. You will need to specify how this internship differs from your prior work.
- No more than 20% of your internship hours can be training hours, pending approval of the training as substantive by your on-campus internship supervisor
- No more than 30% of your duties can be clerical in nature
- The number of hours at your internship site is tied to the number of credits you will receive for the internship (and some sites will not work with interns who are doing internships for less than 3 credits):
- 1 credit = 42 hours
- 2 credits = 84 hours
- 3 credits = 126 hours
- You must complete all hours in order to receive credit for the internship; failure to complete the contracted hours will result in a failing grade for the internship
- You will not receive credit for hours completed before the semester begins and your internship contract has been processed