Dr. Hai in News:
Physics Department Students in press:
- Hannah Killian: https://eagleeye.umw.edu/2018/07/18/magrakvelidze-and-killian-present-at-international-conference/
- Rebecca Callaway ’19 http://www.umw.edu/news/2018/05/01/technology-strikes-high-note-for-old-concert-harp/
- SSI-2017: http://www.umw.edu/news/2017/07/12/ready-set-research/
- Pengcheng Zhang: http://eagleeye.umw.edu/2016/06/28/particles-of-change/
- Zaire Sprowal: http://www.umw.edu/news/2017/04/18/eagle-awards-presented-umw-leaders-2/
- Zaire Sprowal: http://www.umw.edu/greatminds/2016/05/13/one-framily/
- Zaire Sprowal: http://www.umw.edu/news/2015/07/09/umw-announces-recipient-of-citizenship-and-diversity-award-3/
- SSI-2014: http://www.umw.edu/news/2014/07/24/science-symposium-highlights-student-research/
- SSI-2013: https://eagleeye.umw.edu/2013/07/25/symposium-showcases-student-research/
- SPS Game Night 2018
- SPS hosted second Standard Gravity Day on 09/08/2018.
- Mr. Robin Smith joined our department as an adjunct Fall 2018.
- The head of the Chemistry Department, Dr. Charlie Sharpless stepped-in as an interim chairperson of the Physics Department Fall 2018.
- Dr. Hai Nguyen has been selected as the 2018-2019 American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Fellow. The idea of the Fellowship is that it promotes and defends the integrity of science and its use in the Executive Branch of our government. It also seeks to provide a voice for science on societal issues and promote the responsible use of science in public policy. AAAS runs SCIENCE Journal and Science and Diplomacy.
Ms. Stephanie Tobler -physics graduate from the class of 1994- gave talk about her exciting career and adventure beyond physics at UMW on April 19th JEPS 417, 11:00am
Dr. Bob Jones –Francis H. Smith Professor of Physics, Department of Physics, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA – gave talk “Probing Matter with Attosecond Photo-Electron Wavepackets” April 12th, Thursday , HCC-329, 2:00 pm
- Physics Department and SPS hosted Standard Gravity Day party on 9/8/2017.
- Visitors from Dahlgren (NSWCDD): Allen Parks, Willie Catoe, Lorraine Harting, John Gray, and David Fallest, from Dahlgren visited Physics Department on August 28th. They met with our students and discussed the research projects students are involved and potential summer internships for them in their company.
- Department of Physics hosted Great American Eclipse party on August 21, 2017.
- Dr. Ibrahima Castillo Diallo joined our department as an adjunct Fall 2017.
- Congratulations to Pengcheng Zhang for winning Physics Faculty award -Spring 2017.
- Congratulations to Zaire Sprowal for winning Einstein Prize Award – Spring 2017.
- Congratulations to Zaire Sprowal, senior student, who received the Prince Woodard Outstanding Leader Award, given to a graduating senior who has made a substantial impact on campus and beyond, while exemplifying the values of honor, leadership and service- Spring 2017.
Dr. Brett DePaola, a Professor of Physics and Interim Department Head at Kansas State University, gave a very interesting talk about “A Scientist in the State Department: Mutual Enlightenment or a Lesson in Frustration?” on March 22, 2016.
- Dr. Dave Fallest joined our department as an adjunct Fall 2016.
- Dr. Maia Magrakvelidze, Assistant Professor, joined the department Fall 2016.
- Dr. Joesephius Ferguson, Visiting Assistant Professor, will continue with the program for the academic year 2014-15.
- Dr. Hai Nguyen, a Jepson Fellow, has a 50% teaching load reduction for 2014-15.
- Congratulations to scholarship recipients for 2014-15; Christopher Sprouse, the Bulent Atalay Scholar and John Meadows, the Peggy Ellis Gill Scholar for 2014-15.
- Many thanks to Vernon W. Norris and Ruby Lee Norris for their donation of a Meade Telescope w/GPS and CCD to the department.