If you are currently enrolled in a program at UMW:
To sign up for the GIS certificate, go to this page and choose Major Declaration Form. Complete the form, selecting “declaring GIS Certificate” and stating Department: Geography; Department Chair: Jackie Gallagher, Email: email@example.com. The form will be routed to Dr. Gallagher, who will become your advisor for this program. Although the certificate is not a major or minor, it can be added (or dropped!) as if it were.
Dr. Gallagher will advise you on which electives are available, whether to take GISC 450 (GIS Programming) or GISC 482 (Web Mapping Concepts), and how to go about finding a capstone project.
Undergraduate students may complete the certificate for credit just like a minor; there is no additional cost. Students may also finish the program AFTER graduation. It requires 19 credits, 4 4-credit courses plus a 3-credit capstone.
If you are NOT currently a UMW student:
You may apply to the GISC-only program through the following steps:
- Complete this application for admission to the GIS Certificate Program
- Email it to Ms. Christy Pack (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the UMW office of Admissions.
- On the subject line of the email, write GISc Certificate
- In the body of the email state your desire to be admitted to the program.
- You should expect to receive a confirmation email shortly after your request. Her phone number is (540) 286-8030
- There is no hard deadline for application as we do rolling admissions for this program. However, we would recommend that you allow plenty of time prior to the start of each semester in order to guarantee a seat in a class. The academic calendar can be found here.
- Complete the application for Virginia In-State Tuition (if applicable)
- Submit ofﬁcial transcript(s) of previous course work from a regionally accredited college or university, with evidence of a minimum of 12 credit hours completed with a C or above
- The application fee of $50 will be waived for all applicants to this program