We anticipate that the Fall 2023 cohort will be the last admitted to this program.
Students who have earned a bachelor’s degree from Mary Wash or elsewhere are invited to apply to the MSGA program. The program is designed for students who have experience with GIS. Instructors primarily use ESRI’s ArcGIS Pro; familiarity with the program is necessary for success.
Applicants who do not have any GIS coursework but who work with GIS on a regular basis may apply, providing evidence of their knowledge through their portfolio.
Applicants who have no experience with GIS at all should take undergraduate coursework in the GIS Certificate program.
Requirements for Admission
- June 1 is the preferred filing deadline. Applications submitted after August 1 will not be considered.
- Complete the application form and upload your information through Graduate Admissions
- Earned bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate coursework
- Typically, a GPA of 3.0 or higher from undergraduate course work
- Earned credits in at least two college-level GIS classes – or, provide evidence demonstrating experience with GIS on a range of projects indicating competence in topics typically covered in undergraduate coursework
- GIS Portfolio
- Earned credits in at least one college-level statistics class
- Provide a goal statement, or statement of purpose
- Résumé, stating relevant work experience; applicants without completed coursework in GIS need to provide documented evidence demonstrating their proficiency with GIS
- Two letters of recommendation, at least one from someone who can attest to the candidates GIS experience; both should assess the applicant’s graduate potential of the applicant
- International students should complete the International Student Application Supplement
- Non-native English speakers must provide evidence of proficiency in English
- The GRE is NOT required
Please follow the links for more information about the Master of Science in Geospatial Analysis (MSGA) program.
- About the Statement of Purpose
- About the GIS Portfolio
- About Letters of Recommendation
- Graduate Catalog for more details about the program
If you have questions, please contact the Department Chair, Dr. Jackie Gallagher.