Download and Authorization Instructions for ArcGIS Pro
ArcGIS Pro can only be installed on Windows operating systems. Before you install, check Esri’s system requirements to make sure your computer has the hardware and software required.
Step 1: Obtain your ArcGIS Online (ArcGIS Pro) credential from your current UMW GIS professor
To use ArcGIS Pro, you need to use your UMW’s ArcGIS Online credential to log on. If you do not have an ArcGIS Pro or ArcGIS Online credential (e.g., “jsmith_UMW”), contact your current UMW GIS professor; the professor will request authorization from Dr. Rizzo.
- Once your request has been processed, you will receive an email from Esri with log-on information: set up your account with password questions so that you can retrieve it if you lock yourself out!
- If you do lock yourself out, please contact Dr. Rizzo – NOT Esri!! Dr. Rizzo is available in Monroe 321 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 2: Retrieve ArcGIS Pro software
You have 2 options for downloading the ArcGIS Pro software, either from Esri’s website or UMW’s server.
Download option 1: UMW’s server (only works when you are on campus)
Click on this URL (or copy and paste it into your browser). It will allow you to save an executable file to your own computer:
Download option 2: Esri’s website (must be started on campus)
This download requires an Esri ArcGIS authorization code
Step A: Retrieve an ArcGIS authorization code while you are on campus
Go to this URL (http://umw-arcgis-data.umw.local//arcgiscode/) and fill out your information. The authorization code will appear at the bottom of the screen after you submit the form
- This code can only be used to install the software on a single computer and is valid for 1 year.
- You can only request a new code 11 months after your previous request.
- Save the code to a safe place so you can use it to download and authorize ArcGIS later on your own computer. The code cannot be retrieved after you close the page.
Note: This will only work if you are on campus. Using a lab computer is strongly recommended. It may also work when using your personal computer with the UMW’s wireless (however, students have told us that it does not work if you are on UMW wireless in the residences, for example).
Step B: Activate authorization code on Esri’s website
The authorization code you downloaded in Step A has to be activated on Esri’s website before it can authorize ArcGIS on your own computer.
- Go to http://www.esri.com/landing-pages/software/arcgis/arcgis-desktop-student-trial. This link can be accessed at any location with an internet connection.
- This page asks you to log in your Esri’s account. Use your UMW’s ArcGIS Online / ArcGIS Pro credential (e.g., “jsmith_UMW”)
- After login, enter the authorization code you downloaded in Step 1. Then click Activate ArcGIS
- Now, your code has been activated and you should be able to see Esri’s software download page for ArcGIS Pro. Click the download button
Step 3: Install and update ArcGIS Pro
- After you download ArcGIS Pro, run Setup.exe to install it.
- Once it is installed, log in using your UMW ArcGIS Pro username and password (it is the same as your ArcGIS Online username and password). An internet connection is required to use ArcGIS Pro.
- Since ArcGIS Pro is continuously updated by Esri, update your ArcGIS Pro to the latest version. To do this, click Settings on the bottom left corner. Then choose About on the left panel. If there is a newer version, you should be able to see the notice on the right panel with a download button. Click on the download button and update your ArcGIS Pro.
Note: We are no longer able to check out licenses for ArcGIS Pro, which means it can’t be used without an internet connection. Once you have a connection, ArcGIS Pro will stay active for 24 hours unless you logout.
Transfer ArcGIS authorization from one computer to another
One authorization code can only authorize ArcGIS on one computer at a time. If you want to install ArcGIS on a new computer and the old computer with an authorized ArcGIS will not be used any more, you can use the same authorization code to authorize ArcGIS on your new computer.
Note: Before you transfer the ArcGIS authorization, make sure you still have the authorization code you used for your old computer and the code is still valid (within one year after its first use). Otherwise, you have to request a new code.
Follow these steps:
- From windows Start menu on your old computer, choose ArcGIS Administrator
- On the left panel, choose Support Operations.
- On the right panel, click De-authorize button. The software Authorization Wizard will open. Follow the prompts with the default options to deauthorize ArcGIS on your old computer.
- Now, your authorization code can be used to authorize another computer. Go through the authorization procedure to authorize ArcGIS on your new computer.