Geography is a quintessential liberal arts subject, bringing a spatial context to many disciplines. As such, you could find a career in just about anything!
Many of our alumni become geospatial analysts, planners, researchers, and teachers (check out the Where Are They Now? map to see what alumni end up doing). They work for a range of federal agencies, local and state governments, industry leaders, non-profit and service organizations. In addition, many alumni have excelled in top graduate programs.
Common employers for geography majors include:
- Intelligence Agencies and their contractors
- GIS Consulting Companies
- City, Regional, State and Environmental Planning or GIS Departments
- Environmental, Engineering, or Architectural Consultation Firms
- Manufacturing Firms
- Government Agencies (e.g. Census Bureau, USGS, EPA, ACOE, National Parks, NOAA)
- Non-Profit Organizations
Some great career resources include:
- American Association of Geographers careers page
- URISA: a multi-disciplinary geospatial organization that provides professional education and training, a vibrant and connected community, advocacy for geospatial challenges and issues, and essential resources
- Royal Geographical Society
- What Can I do with This Major?
- Indeed Geography
- 1000 Applications & Uses of GIS