What do the majors in English and English: Creative Writing do for students?
- They provide the context for intellectual maturity and enhanced creativity.
- They develop a sophisticated understanding of history, culture, and the human condition.
- They prepare students for careers that require critical thinking, communication skills, and the capacity to respond to new challenges.
What can graduates with a degree in English do that employers and graduate schools alike find impressive?
- They can write and speak well.
- They can think creatively and, in turn, actively create.
- They can process complex ideas and notice patterns.
- They can understand multiple perspectives.
- They can generate questions and pursue their answers through research.
- They can argue for a particular point of view and evaluate the relative merits of others.
- They can respond to, refer to, recognize, and rely on a wide array of highly regarded thinkers and artists, a body of knowledge that has organized, guided, and inspired human behavior, through narrative, theory, and critique.