ENLI Honors Policy
1) Eligibility: 3.7 GPA in the major (English, English with a concentration in Creative Writing, or any special major in the department)
2) Honors Project: An “A” paper or project from an ENLI seminar or individual study, with approval of the faculty member who supervised the paper or project. The faculty member may, at his or her discretion, require further work on a graded paper or project before approving it as an Honors Project. The faculty member may also turn down the student’s request for approval of the paper as an Honors Project if the faculty member does not think it is worth Honors. Students intending to apply for honors should consult with the supervising faculty member no later than the day after spring break ends. (December graduates should consult by the day after fall break ends.)
3) The deadline for notification of intent and process to apply for Honors is:
- December graduates should declare intent to apply by the second Friday in November.
- Spring 2021 graduates should declare intent to apply by April 16, 2021, 5 p.m.. Students should send an email to the Chair of the Honors Committee, Professor LaBreche (email@example.com), with the subject heading “Intent to Apply for Honors” and should send a copy of this to the sponsoring faculty member.
4) No later than 5 p.m. on Friday, April 23, 2021, students must submit an approval sheet listing the name of the sponsoring faculty member and copying them on the email to the Chair of the Honors Committee (in spring of 2021: Dr. LaBreche, firstname.lastname@example.org).
The approval sheet is available for download here: HonorsApplFormSpring2021.
Note: This file is best accessed using Safari or Firefox. If you are using Google Chrome or another web browser that has trouble accessing this document, copy and paste the following URL into your browser location bar to download the file:
It is important that students work closely with their sponsors throughout April to make sure that the paper is deemed worthy of honors by the sponsoring faculty member. Note: December graduates should submit the approval sheet by the last day of Fall classes.
5) After this date, students may edit their papers for typos, etc.; however, all work must be completed and the final project must be submitted no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday of exam week. Students will submit their work directly to the UMW library: for information on submission see the Registrar website. Note: December graduates should submit the final copy by the Friday of Fall’s exam week.
6) In addition, by Friday of exam week, students should provide the following:
- An electronic copy of a 150-word abstract of their paper. This should include the paper’s title, the name of the sponsoring professor, and information on the course (field, number, and name) or independent study for which the paper was written and should be submitted via email in Spring 2021 to Professor LaBreche (email@example.com) with subject header “Honors Candidate”;
- A quality digital photograph, submitted via email to the ENLI Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org) with subject header “Honors Candidate.”
The abstract and photo may be displayed at the ENLI Reception for Graduating Seniors and will be posted in the ENLI department. Note: December graduates should submit the above by Friday of exam week in the Fall; it will still be used for the reception at the end of the academic year.
adopted Fall 2003; revised.