Studying in another country is an excellent way to increase cultural awareness and broaden perspective, something that becomes more valuable to employers every year as our culture grows more international and as employment grows more global. Many study abroad opportunities offer importunities improve skills in another language, whether by studying in that country or visiting other locations.
Faculty from ENLI offer various programs in international education each year, and there are many more opportunities as well. For more information, consult UMW’s Center for International Education.
Summer 2021: UMW in Bath: Oscar Wilde
* Cancelled due to COVID-19
“One should always be a little improbable”
UMW Professor: Dr. Chris Foss
Where: Bath, England
Credits: 8 transfer credits for two 4-credit courses.
When: June 5-July 10, 2021
Description: From Professor Foss: “Come be improbable with Oscar Wilde and me as I lead a group of students across the pond for five weeks during Summer 2021 as part of a superb study abroad experience based in Bath, England through Advanced Studies in England! The program will run from 5 June through 10 July. You will earn 8 credits and fulfill your Experiential Learning requirement to boot (if you haven’t already done so). You will take two classes, one with me (Oscar Wilde) and one with a British instructor (The Black Atlantic, Jane Austen, or Romans in Britain).”
- “Classes run Monday-Thursday, so there is plenty of time for weekend travel, on your own and/or through official program trips.
- “Such travel will include a weekend in London (with a play in the West End) and a weekend on Dorset’s Jurassic Coast, plus day trips to Glastonbury, Oxford and Stonehenge!
- “Also, by train Bath is just 15 minutes from Bristol, 60 minutes from Cardiff (the capital of Wales), and only 90 minutes from central London! But you also may wish to spend every last second you can in glorious Bath itself—a beautiful, compact, fun, and safe city—with a World Heritage site designation!
“You will get to live either in historic 18th-century student housing or in privately-owned apartments in the centre of Bath! Total cost is $6000 (this does not cover airfare but includes tuition, housing, all program travel costs, insurance, and UMW fees). The final application deadline is 14 February, but do apply as early as possible, as seats are very limited. Find out more about the program at https://www.asesummer.org/. Email me (email@example.com) if you have any questions about this amazing opportunity!—Dr. Chris Fosss
Courses: Students will earn 8 transfer credits for two 4-credit courses. These courses will include:
- Oscar Wilde taught by Dr. Chris Foss and
- one of ASE’s three core courses:
- “The Black Atlantic,”
- “Jane Austen,” or
- “Romans in Britain.”
Credit: The English course can satisfy the Experiential Learning requirement, and can count as either a 300-level course or 400-level seminar in the English major.
Information Session: Tuesday, October 20 at 2:30 p.m. Zoom