The Bachelor of Liberal Studies degree requires completion of a minimum of 120 semester credit hours. Those hours are distributed in three categories: General Education requirements, Major program of study, and Elective credit to round out the degree.
Major: A completed approved major, or special major, with a grade-point average (GPA) of at least a 2.0 in the major.
General Electives: Additional courses to reach at least 120 credits on your Academic Transcript Total.
Elective credits are those that are needed to complete the minimum 120 credits required for graduation. These courses may be taken graded, or pass/fail. BLS students may earn elective credit at the University of Mary Washington, or at other accredited institutions.
BLS General Education Requirements
Beginning Fall 1993, students who earned an Associate’s Degree (except General Studies [at some VCCS institutions] or Applied Science degrees) for the Virginia Community College System, automatically fulfill the general education requirements. Use this link to access the transfer information page Office of the Registrar, Resources & Publications
Starting in Fall of 2012, students who earned an Associates of Applied Science from Germanna Community College fulfill the general education requirements. For a complete listing visit the Registrar’s Office Transfer Credit Guide.
The Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) degree general education requirementsare as follows; see the general education list for the courses that will meet the various requirements.
- Written Communication – Three courses designated Writing Intensive.
- Oral Communication – One course designated Speaking Intensive.
Methods of Investigation
- Arts and Literature – One course focusing on visual art, performing art, and/or literature.
- Humanities – One course in the humanities (including history).
- Natural Science – One course in the natural sciences that includes a laboratory.
- Quantitative Reasoning – One coursefocusing on quantitative information and abstract reasoning.
- Social Science – One course in the social sciences.
- Additional Methods of Investigation Courses – Three additional courses taken from two different Methods of Investigation categories.
- Digital Intensive – One course designated as a Digital Intensive course that is not being used to meet one of the methods of investigation requirements or to fulfill the Diverse and Global Perspectives requirement.
- Diverse and Global Perspectives – One course focusing on global and/or diverse communities that is not being used to meet one of the methods of investigation requirements or to fulfill the Digital Intensive requirement.
BLS Residency and Grade-Point Average Requirement
Students are required to complete at least 30 UMW credit hours to satisfy the residency requirement. A cumulative grade-point average of 2.00, and a major grade-point average of 2.00 are also required for the BLS degree.