Total: 39 Credits
I. Required Courses: 9 Credits
Take all of the following three classes:
- History of Western Art I ARTH 114 (3 Credits)
- History of Western Art II ARTH 115 (3 Credits)
- Methods of Art History ARTH 303 (3 Credits)
II. Area Requirements: 15 Credits
Take at least one course in each of the following five chronological areas:
- Ancient Egyptian, Near East, Greek, Roman ARTH 305, 310, 311 (3 Credits)
- Medieval ARTH 325, 326 (3 Credits)
- Renaissance ARTH 330, 331, 332 (3 Credits)
- Baroque ARTH 340, 341 (3 Credits)
- Modern ARTH 350, 351, 352, 354 (3 Credits)
III. Research/Seminar Requirement: 3 Credits
Take one of the following:
- Women & Western Art ARTH 460 (3 Credits)
- Special Studies in Art History ARTH 470 (3 Credits)
IV. Additional Courses to Complete Major: 12 Credits
An additional twelve credits may be selected from the courses listed below or those in sections II and III.
- Topics in Art History ARTH 260 (3 Credits)
- Topics in Non-Western & Non-Eurocentric Art ARTH 270 (3 Credits)
- Art Museum Studies ARTH 315 (3 Credits)
- Modern Architecture ARTH 355 (3 Credits)
- Topics in Art & Art History ARTH 450 (3 Credits)
- Individual Study ARTH 491, 492 (3 Credits)
- Internship ARTH 499 (Credits Variable)*
No courses are required in any other major. However, Art History majors are strongly encouraged to take Studio Art classes.
Additional expertise in a foreign language—specifically German and either French or Italian—is recommended (and generally required) for graduate study in Western art.
*Only 3 credit hours earned in an internship can be applied to the Art History major.