Danell Bjornson

I am a 2004 Mary Washington College graduate. I would be happy to talk about my career with interested students.

Briefly, after graduation I intended to gain research experience to apply to a doctoral psychology program. However, after obtaining a research assistant position I met several psychiatric nurse practitioners who persuaded me to consider psychiatric nursing.

I earned a BS in Nursing in 2008, then a master’s degree in 2011. I worked for several years as a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner for a large private practice clinic. In that capacity, I primarily provided medication management. I became very interested in Adult ADHD and in 2014 I started a specialized clinic. Within two years, we are the largest clinic focusing on ADHD in our region. As a clinician, I do a variety of tasks including assessment, treatment, case management, brief psychotherapeutic interventions, and clinical consultation to junior psychologists, practicum students, counselors, and advance practice nurses. As the clinic owner, I am responsible for the business plan, expansion, management, HR, marketing, accounting/billing, and a variety of other tasks that are ever-changing.

I am grateful for the education that I received at Mary Washington as I believe it prepared me for a dynamic role that requires excellent critical thinking skills. When I was a student there, I had never heard of advance practice nursing. I wonder if this has changed over the years. In any case, I would be glad to talk with interested students.  Please give my regards to Dr. Liss who was my advisor, Dr. Hampton, and Dr. Kolar.