Physics Department Students in press:
- SSI-2017: http://www.umw.edu/news/2017/07/12/ready-set-research/
- Pengcheng Zhang: http://eagleeye.umw.edu/2016/06/28/particles-of-change/
- Zaire Sprowal: http://www.umw.edu/news/2017/04/18/eagle-awards-presented-umw-leaders-2/
- Zaire Sprowal: http://www.umw.edu/greatminds/2016/05/13/one-framily/
- Zaire Sprowal: http://www.umw.edu/news/2015/07/09/umw-announces-recipient-of-citizenship-and-diversity-award-3/
- SSI-2014: http://www.umw.edu/news/2014/07/24/science-symposium-highlights-student-research/
- SSI-2013: https://eagleeye.umw.edu/2013/07/25/symposium-showcases-student-research/
- Mimi Huynh – UMW Alumna- will be giving a talk about “Research and Development in Advanced Sensors for Military Technologies and Imaging Famous Art Pieces” MONDAY OCTOBER 9th, 2017 @ 2PM Jepson Rm. 417
After graduated from UMW, Mimi works as a physicist/scientist for MTEQ, INC., who specializes in the development, integration, and testing of EO/IR sensors and systems. Her current work is located at the NVESD (Night Vision and Electronic Sensors Directorate) compound in Ft. Belvoir, VA, supporting the research and testing of EO/IR sensors, tactical lasers, signal processing, and hyperspectral imagers. She will talk about applications of these sensors, the kind of data they produce, and what scientists can extract from them. Applications and examples include not only military and defense purposes, but also includes images taken of famous art pieces for art conservation purposes. To see more hyperspectral images or to learn more about how you can continue your career as a physicist or just to learn more about working and life after college, drop by Jepson Rm. 313 at 2PM.
- Physics Department and SPS hosted Standard Gravity Day party on 9/8/2017.
- Visitors from Dahlgren (NSWCDD): Allen Parks, Willie Catoe, Lorraine Harting, John Gray, and David Fallest, from Dahlgren visited Physics Department on August 28th. They met with our students and discussed the research projects students are involved and potential summer internships for them in their company.
- Department of Physics hosted Great American Eclipse party on August 21, 2017.
- Dr. Ibrahima Castillo Diallo joined our department as an adjunct Fall 2017.
- Congratulations to Pengcheng Zhang for winning Physics Faculty award -Spring 2017.
- Congratulations to Zaire Sprowal for winning Einstein Prize Award – Spring 2017.
- Congratulations to Zaire Sprowal, senior student, who received the Prince Woodard Outstanding Leader Award, given to a graduating senior who has made a substantial impact on campus and beyond, while exemplifying the values of honor, leadership and service- Spring 2017.
Dr. Brett DePaola, a Professor of Physics and Interim Department Head at Kansas State University, gave a very interesting talk about “A Scientist in the State Department: Mutual Enlightenment or a Lesson in Frustration?” on March 22, 2016.
- Dr. Dave Fallest joined our department as an adjunct Fall 2016.
- Dr. Maia Magrakvelidze, Assistant Professor, joined the department Fall 2016.
- Dr. Joesephius Ferguson, Visiting Assistant Professor, will continue with the program for the academic year 2014-15.
- Dr. Hai Nguyen, a Jepson Fellow, has a 50% teaching load reduction for 2014-15.
- Congratulations to scholarship recipients for 2014-15; Christopher Sprouse, the Bulent Atalay Scholar and John Meadows, the Peggy Ellis Gill Scholar for 2014-15.
- Many thanks to Vernon W. Norris and Ruby Lee Norris for their donation of a Meade Telescope w/GPS and CCD to the department.