University Of Mary Washington Flute Ensemble
Directed by Doug Gately
The ensemble consists of students majoring in all areas of study. The group’s repertoire is selected from standard flute literature as well as contemporary flute works. Solo opportunities are also encouraged. Smaller groups within the ensemble perform for various social events on and off campus. The ensemble is open to all students by audition.
Performance Schedule – Fall, 2017
Oct 2 – Latino Identities Concert, Hurley Convergence Center, 7:30
Nov 10 – Fall Concert – performance with the UMW Concert Band, Dodd Auditorium, George Washington Hall, 7:30
- Student Recitals, Pollard Recital Hall, TBA
- TBA – various community performances
UMW Chamber Festival
The Department of Music at the University of Mary Washington hosts the UMW Chamber Festival Series each Spring. The festival features student groups, faculty, and special guest artists providing master classes and performances.
Concerts are free and the public is invited.
For More information contact the UMW Music Department at (540) 654-1012
Doug Gately, Bio / Highlights
- Director of the Flute Ensemble and Instructor of applied flute studies
- Current Artist/Clinician with Jupiter Instruments, Altus, and Azumi Flutes
- MA., Flute Performance, George Mason University
- Director of Jazz Studies at the University of Mary Washington.
- Director & Conductor of the UMW Concert Band
- Active performer, composer and arranger. As a multi-instrumentalist, specializing in woodwinds, toured and performed throughout the United States, Canada, South America, and Europe. Works within various jazz and classical genres including conducting masterclass clinics, solo appearances, symphonic, chamber, and club date performances.
- Adjunct performer with the National Symphony Orchestra
- Leads his own jazz groups. Recordings: Doug Gately Quartet
- Former Artist/Clinician with Buffet Clarinets.
- Credited with numerous studio recordings for commercials and CDs’, as well as making radio and television appearances.
- Former member and featured soloist with the USAF Airmen of Note, in Washington DC., the premier jazz ensemble of the United States Air Force. (visit Airmen of Note for recordings)
- Credits include performances with Jazz Artists, Arturo Sandoval, Dizzy Gillespie, Bill Watrous, Louis Bellson, Stanley Turentine, Bob Mitzer, Jon Faddis, Carmen Mcrae, Joe Williams, and Sammy Nestico.
- Credits also include performances with Mathew Morrison, Seth McFarlane, Michael Feinstein, Natalie Cole, Aretha Franklin, Patti LaBelle, Letissi, Tony Bennet, Nancy Wilson, Bob Hope, Spinners, Temptations, Crystal Gayle, the Manhatten Transfer, Louis Belson, and the National Symphony Orchestra.
- Studied woodwinds with Joe Viola at the Berklee College of Music in Boston, and is a graduate of Mary Washington College and George Mason University.
Doug’s most current Performance Schedule and latest Recording can be found at:
Feel free to use the “Comments or Questions?” link below if you have any questions.