College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
BLS students have the option of receiving credit through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) after matriculation. CLEP credit is considered transfer credit, and is limited to a total of 30 (thirty) credits .
Students wishing to transfer in CLEP credit while attending UMW must fill out the Request Form: CLEP prior to taking the exam.
For further information, including testing sites near you, see the College Board website.
Here are some things to keep in mind about CLEP credits:
- They are generally used to fill elective credit and do not substitute required upper division major courses however, they can fill lower division courses.
- You cannot receive duplicate credit, so if you already have credits for BIOL-NOTMJ don’t take the Biology CLEP, take a different test.
- These tests are affordable! However, choose carefully and talk with your advisor if you aren’t sure about whether or not you need to take one, or should take one.
- Study hard. You have to wait several months to retake the same test if you don’t pass.
- Take your test in the early fall, so if you don’t pass you can retake it in the spring. If you are taking one spring of your graduation term, take it as early as possible so your test score has plenty of time to arrive, scores have to be in before the transfer credit deadline.
- Use the online study guides and practice tests, you need to pass with a 50%
Click here for a current list of CLEP Equivalencies 2016