APPLICATIONS ARE DUE IN THE FIRST WEEK OF YOUR FINAL SEMESTER. PLEASE SEE THE CALENDAR OF IMPORTANT DATES PUBLISHED EACH YEAR UNDER THE CALENDAR TAB ON THE HOME PAGE. LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Honors in Studio Art acknowledges outstanding overall achievement in the major, as demonstrated by the quality and depth of a student’s work. To apply, eligible students must participate in an ARTS 491/492: Individual Study, a group critique with Studio Art Faculty, a senior exhibition, and be prepared to submit a portfolio if selected to receive honors. The awarding of honors is competitive, determined by the Studio Art faculty, and granted to select graduating seniors at commencement. Application for honors does not insure receipt of honors. The Department Chair will notify applications after decisions have been made by the faculty.
PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION
I. Verify eligibility. Before applying for honors, you must meet the following criteria:
• have a 3.5 minimum G.P.A. in the major
• have a 3.25 minimum G.P.A. in the overall degree program
• have participated in Major Assessment
• will participate in a senior exhibition in the semester in which you are applying
• are currently enrolled in an Individual Study in Studio Art or plan to do so before the end of your senior year (note: you must inform your Individual Study advisor at the beginning of your project that you intend to submit your project as application for honors.)
B.L.S. Studio Art majors are eligible to apply if they meet the above requirements AND
their core area program is consistent with that prescribed for the B.A. degree (determined by the advisor and reported to the chair.)
II. Submit a letter of application by the published deadline. If you meet the eligibility requirements, submit a letter of application to the department chair requesting consideration for honors. Your letter must include a list of the following information.
• expected date of graduation
• major advisor
• overall G.P.A.
• major G.P.A.
• departmental awards and scholarships received
III. Participate in a Senior Exhibition. All phases: planning and selecting work, installation, advertising, reception, and de-installation.
IV. Participate in Studio Art Faculty Group Critique. This will be the opportunity for you to defend your work. You must focus on your most current work and address your conceptual, technical, and stylistic development in the studio art program.
V. Selection of Honors designees will be announced by the Chair and the Honor designees must then prepare the portfolio binder that has a cover sheet (signed by the Department Chair), an artist statement, and a CD of works (eight to twelve) accompanied by a descriptive list of the works. This binder must be submitted to Simpson Library by deadline established by the Simpson Library staff (candidates will be informed directly by the Library.)
CRITERIA FOR RECEIVING HONORS
The awarding of honors is the decision of the Studio Art faculty. In addition to the above criteria, the following also play a role in the awarding of honors:
• You demonstrated familiarity with the critical issues in the areas of your work, as well as within the discipline of Studio Art.
• Your Individual Study advisor observed you to be self-directed and highly motivated throughout the course of study.
• Your work in the Senior Exhibition revealed an informed level of critical, conceptual, and technical competence.
IF YOU RECEIVE HONORS…
You will be contacted by the Chair and your honors portfolio must be submitted to Simpson Library by their published deadline. To submit your portfolio to the Simpson Library go to: http://libraries.umw.edu/paper-submission-guidelines/
In addition to digital images, your portfolio must include a descriptive list of the works and an artist statement.