Degree Requirements: Studio Art Major
Total: 39 Credits
- REQUIRED COURSES: 12 Credits
Digital Approaches to Fine Art ARTS 104 3 Credits
Design Principles ARTS 105 3 Credits
Drawing I ARTS 120 3 Credits
Professional Practices ARTS 474 3 Credits
- AREA REQUIREMENTS: 21 Credits
An additional twenty-one credits in Studio Art including at least six credits at the 200-level, at least twelve credits at the 300-level or above (ARTS 474: Professional Practices does not count toward this requirement). Studio Art majors are required to participate in the major assessment and senior exhibition/senior exit portfolio.
III. ART HISTORY REQUIREMENT: 9 CREDITS
History of Western Art I and II ARTH 114 and 115 6 Credits
Any upper-level course* (ARTH 200-level & above) 3 Credits
*Prerequisites must be met.
- ADDITIONAL ASSESSMENT REQUIREMENTS:
To evaluate a student’s progress during the course of the program, two assessments are made:
- Major Assessment Portfolio: 8-10 printed thumbnail images of your work in the major accompanied by the Major Assessment Portfolio cover sheet, available in Melchers 217. Please label images. It is best practice to complete the major portfolio as soon as you declare the major. The portfolio is required to enroll in ARTS 474, so the latest you can submit is the spring before your senior year.
- Senior Assessment: Students may choose one of two ways to complete the senior assessment requirement: an exhibition or a senior exit portfolio. With either, each student must present his or her best work produced in upper-level courses, and must clarify it with an artist’s statement. Further information regarding senior assessment is covered in ARTS 474.